We’re excited to share that Dr. Christine Roman-Lantzy’s Pediatric VIEW Program (PVP) is now part of the quality care offered at The Children’s Home & Lemieux Family Center!
PVP was established in 1999 as one of the follow-up programs affiliated with a Pittsburgh based neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). Dr. Roman-Lantzy has served more than 1,200 children and provides the results of an assessment that indicate if a child has Cortical Visual Impairment or Cortical Visual Impairment (CVI).
CVI is the leading cause of childhood visual impairment in all first world countries. It is not an ocular impairment or blindness of the eye, but rather CVI is a visual impairment caused by a brain injury. Children with CVI often have other health issues, including developmental disabilities, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, head injuries, prematurity, hydrocephalus, brain infection or genetic disorders. A thorough assessment of the patient and an appropriate diagnosis of CVI can assist in maximizing a child’s quality of life and enhancing their ability to communicate.
PVP at The Children’s Home offers:
- Functional vision assessments for infants and children with visual impairment or, suspected visual impairment.
- Developmental evaluation for infants and children.
- Consultations with families regarding early intervention or educational services, if requested.
- Collaboration with pediatric medical specialists, as needed.
- A training program for PT, OT, and SPLT to conduct CVI assessments.
- A resource for families with children who have CVI, enabling them to have access to and to learn techniques and therapies that will be helpful in maximizing their child’s vision.
- A support program for families to access helpful information about CVI.
PVP served families and children with CVI from across the U.S. and internationally. The evaluation process generally includes a two-hour CVI range assessment. Families then receive a completed evaluation form and a detailed summary with recommendations for intervention supports.
PVP’s new location at our facility offers a beautifully outfitted and comfortable exam room located on our second floor.
“I welcome the opportunity to work with the staff at The Children’s Home to create a Center for Excellence for CVI assessment and treatment,” Dr. Christine Roman-Lantzy said. “I am pleased to have been embraced by this wonderful organization and I look forward to treating more children and families in this lovely and warm environment.”
To learn more about PVP or to schedule an appointment, email [email protected] or call (412) 441-4884